Well, the gravity ended up to be 1.103, which, if it ferments down to what I’m expecting, about 1.030 or so, will give a beer of near 9%. What will really tell, though, is time, because this should get better with age. However, let’s not put the malt cart before the yeast horse. It still needs to ferment.
Last night before bed I was contemplating my all grain experience. Exhausted and a little demoralized, I figured there’s no reason to do all grain when it’s so much bother, and I’m better off sticking to extract. Yet this morning, when I was rested and reflecting again, I realized that it’s the challenge of getting it right that will keep me coming back. When brewing with extract, the most difficult part is already done for you. So although I can make some pretty decent beers with extract, I want to be able to do the same with all grain.
But, until I do, I’m going to have to keep stocking some Dry Malt Extract for emergencies like last night.
Tomorrow I will post pictures from my brew day.