I’m trying to write a post a day for the month of November, for Na Blo Po Mo. It can get difficult, especially since this blog is about canning and brewing, and I’ve been easing up in the canning and brewing lately. So I’m going to begin reflecting on recent activities and also discussing ongoing things.
To kick it off, I want to just let you know what’s been going on in my canning and brewing world recently. I will expand on some of these topics over the next few weeks.
- Raspberry porter that caused me so much trouble, ended up to be a complete, epic and disgusting disaster
- I had a “challenge” (self created) with bottling my Ordinary Bitter
- I did another attempt at a half batch of all grain beer. This was an Extra special bitter, and I think I ended up mashing too high and probably will have a sweet and barely drinkable beer. But you never know
- Onto that yeast I’m going to pitch a barley wine, which I intend to make soon, as soon as I work out my all grain setup.
- I have got to upgrade my brewing kit if I’m going to continue to go all grain. This will include a mash and lauter tun, and a gas ring for boiling 7 gallons of wort.
- I McGyvered my grain mill and now have a powered grain mill.
- My pumpkin porter and Imperial pale ale, both from Sam Calagione’s recipes, came out really well.
- I made soup and put it in jars.
- I’ve begun to enjoy the fruits of my canning labour. I made a favourite dish with my salsas, corn and a pepper from my garden.
- I also almost bought a pressure canner. That may still happen.
- KEL and I made cider yesterday. It may or may not have been with preserved cider (I had ordered preservative free from our local vendor, but KEL noticed that the labels said “preservatives added”. We pitched yeast on it anyway)
- I’ve got to go on “a 48” (something people around here call a 2-day trip across the border to take advantage of customs exemptions that kick in after 48 hours). I need ingredients and equipment galore. If only I wasn’t becoming so increasingly paranoid about bed bugs in hotels
These are some things that have been going on that I have not had a chance to blog about. It should keep me in blogging form for a bit.
Talk at you tomorrow!