Following up on the Raspberry Porter fiasco, I decided to brew something sweet and rich, to mix with the Raspberry Porter. I have now ventured far beyond my experience, into what is for me the highly experimental. So wish me luck.
But first, a bit about the name.
Yesterday, I went to the dentist for my quarterly cleaning. In an X-ray they noticed that I had a cavity formed under a filling. The filling was relatively new, so I think it was probably botched the first time (it never really felt quite all that good after it was done). Anyway, they had time in the afternoon, so in I went back and got the work done. I brewed the beer while my cheek remained frozen and tried to eat supper under the same conditions. Needless to say frozen cheeks were bitten. Ironically, right after I finished eating, the freezing quickly disappeared. Nevertheless, in spite of a frozen face, none of the homebrew I drank dribbled out of my numb mouth! I do have my priorities.
But enough gross stuff. I got home around 5pm, and began to plan the brew. The idea was to create something sweet to offset the tartness of the raspberries, but with a pronounced chocolate flavour to replace the chocolate lost in the raspberry porter itself.
I decided upon something along the lines of a Baltic Porter, a sweet, medium-strong porter. Using the Beer Calculus recipe calculator, and my mediocre knowledge of malts and adjuncts, I decided upon something that had molasses, lactose powder (a non fermentable sugar), brown sugar, cocoa powder, Dehusked dark malt (which adds colour and roastiness but without bitterness) along with malt extract. Just a little hops at the beginning to give it some bitterness to offset the sweet, but nothing too overpowering.
here’s the recipe, in case you want to try it. I have no idea at this point how it will taste. All measurements are by weight unless indicated
- 2Lb 4oz light DME
- 9oz Fancy molasses
- 9.5 oz dark brown sugar
- 5 oz cocoa powder
- 8oz lactose powder
- 4 oz Weyermann’s Carafa III
I was making 3 Gallons, so it could all go in one pot.
I steeped the grain in 3 Gallons of water. I was using so little that I put it in a grain bag, which makes it way easier to deal with. Set it on the stove and let the temperature rise. After about 45 minutes, I had it just about boiling, I removed the grain, put on the lid, and let it come to a nice rolling boil. I took it off the stove, added the DME, and all those nice sugars, stirred and and put it back on the element. When it came to a boil, I added 1/2 oz of Newport hops.
The rest went down without a hitch, leaving me with about 2.75 Gallons of beer. I added some yeast slurry I had saved from an earlier stout (which I also used in the raspberry porter, so the yeast profile should be the same in both beers) .
It’s all in the basement now, and fermenting away. I’m thinking that when blending and bottling time arrives, I’ll bottle a few litres of this stuff separately just to see how it tastes on its own.